Friday, August 31, 2012

A Different Before-Tournament Mindset

I wanted to make a quick post, since I won't have time for a full one for a little while.  This is a short piece of what's on my mind.

There is a two-day tournament occurring tomorrow and Saturday.  I will be attending this tournament, ready as I can be.  Though, I'm not treating this tournament the same as most tournaments I've attended.  For once, I'm not playing to win.

Well... that's a little untrue.  I AM playing to win, but not with 101% concentration on any particular game.  I'm planning to enter three, maybe four, games this tournament.  Those games are: King of Fighters, Persona 4 Arena, Skullgirls, and maybe Virtua Fighter 5.  My goal is top 3 in every game I enter.

I've mentioned in a previous post that I've experienced difficulty in switching between games and learning multiple games.  I don't know how characters like Chris G and Justin Wong do it with such finesse!  I decided I will use this tournament to test my personal ability, and not my ability in a particular game.

My last couple weeks I've tried to balance heavy focus on P4A and small solo practices of KoF.  I did say I do not have a main game focus, but a majority of my time has gone into P4A because I need to be able to keep up with everyone else if I want to get top 3.  I need to warm up on Skullgirls more.  That game can go downhill fast if I don't remember what I'm doing.  VF5 has been on the back burner for longer than these last couple weeks.  I meant to get a decent session in this week, but with school as my number one priority, I didn't get the chance to.  It's why I hesitate to enter the VF5 tournament.  The tournament as a whole is already expensive as fuck and attempts to wring as much money from each attendee as possible, player or not.

...But that's a story for another time.

Four games... this is ridiculous.  I'm shaking my head at the thought.  Regardless, I feel my goal is reasonable...

Maybe...  

It's rare that I doubt myself this much.  Hell, the many use of ellipsis (...'s) shows that lack of confidence and great amount self-doubt.  I don't want to set my bar unreasonably to "I'm gonna fucking win all these games!"  In turn, I don't feel my drive, or my confidence, is as high when I'm not gunning to be THE BEST.

Wish me luck.  I might need luck more than anything...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jamaal, I just stumbled onto your blog and wanted to say hey and maybe ask you a few questions about the FGC in Colorado if you have the time. I don't want to spam your blog with walls of text so if you get this email me at dwashburn32@gmail.com , I would really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, people keep managing to find my blog, it's crazy lmao.

      I wouldn't have mind either way about the block of texts :). I'll go ahead and e-mail you.

      Delete